It has been a long time since I had one of these posts. I've gotten the construction bug of late and have been siding the shed as a means of satisfying it. I started to work on the project some time ago by putting Tyvek on the outside of the shed. Tyvek is a windproof paper that will both seal the shed from the wind and protect the wood from any moisture that builds up underneath the siding.
Unfortunately, putting the Tyvek on coincided with some wet miserable weather, so this was as far as the project got for awhile. However, after awhile nice weather returned and the project moved forward in dribs and drabs since then. I've found that having two small children to look after, and the B&B is not conducive to getting a lot done. Most of the siding has been done while Hilary naps, or Leah is home for lunch.
The trim that I put on was left over window trim from the house, as we didn't trim out the windows, feeling that they looked better with out them.
When we originally built the shed there was no thought on putting siding on it, so the next step was to attach lumber inside to provide the nails something to grab on to. This was needed around the doors and in the corners of the non-gable walls.
Normally the walls should be strapped out with 1 by material, and the siding nailed into this. This provides a space for moisture to move down and not collect underneath the siding. However I decided to attach the siding directly to the walls because 1) I had no 1 by material left and 2) well, its a shed.
Then it was simply a matter of cutting the siding to length, painting the cuts and attaching the siding directly to the wall. The ends cuts are painted to protect the lumber but in this case it is more a matter of asthetics. Because the window trim material is thin (5/8") the edge of the siding sticks past the trim. If the ends weren't painted it would look stripy and unfinished.
It is pretty straight forward, the only trickier spots are under the eaves of the gable ends where the siding has to be cut at an angle to fit.
I'm now about 3/4s of the way done, and if a little nice weather comes I should be able to finish in a day or two. I'm not sure how I'm going to finish the doors, or the soffets but that will probably wait until next year anyway.