Although this post by the incomparable Townie Bastard isn't a meme in the strictest sense, I'm treating it as such. Townie has shared with us his ten favourite Christmas songs, and I'm challenging you to do the same. Here are mine, which you may or may not agree with (but at least Snoopy's Christmas or the one by that group that did Ra Ra Rasputin isn't on it.)
1) White Christmas by Bing Crosby. You could probably choose just about any Bing Crosby tune to include on my list, but this is my favourite of his.
2) Happy Christmas (War is over) by John Lennon. Perhaps over played, but who cares.
3) God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen by the Knox United Church Choir and congregation. Not a recording, only a memory.
4) Silent Night (7 o'clock news) by Simon and Garfunkel. While the news might be dated it still makes for a powerful effect.
5) The Huron Carol by Tom Jackson. A song that inspired an entire series of benefit concerts for the needy at Christmas, sung in that wonderful deep sonorous voice of his. That and my sister would disown me if it wasn't on here.
6) The Holly by Rita MacNeil. I don't know, there is just something about this song that has resonated with me from the first time I heard it.
7) The Christmas Blues by Dean Martin
8) Lo, How a Rose E'er Blooming by R. Carlos Nakai and William Eaton. Some might be dismissive of this as New Age/Muzak but the entire Winter Dreams CD is unparalleled for the quiet contemplative times, after the kids are asleep, and the House is dark but for the lights of the tree.
9) Peace by Norah Jones. It should be mandatory listening.
10) And finally one I don't know the name of, or the words to. By the Roblin Ukrainian Orthodox Church carolers. Really it is more for Ukrainian Christmas but for me it just is essential Christmas music. Or rather was years ago.
So that's my ten. Certainly more traditional than Townie's list, but I think I've trumped him by not having Snoopy's Christmas on my list. As a bonus, here is a short, Christmas related True Crime story.
Every year in La Ronge we'd have what we'd call our "Christmas Babies", people that would do things so monumentally stupid that they'd spend Christmas in our cells. It never failed. Occasionally just before Christmas we'd have someone that we'd have to take before a judge to see if they'd be remanded in custody or not.
On one such occasion I was acting as the Crown for a show cause hearing, which to be honest was almost impossible to win that time of year. Everyone in court was in a good mood, and after the Legal Aid lawyer gave his arguements he smiled and said to the judge "I really love these hearings this time of the year, while you're making your decision I just sit back and hum I'll Be Home For Christmas" and sat down. The judge looked at me and smiled, and I stood up and said "All I can say your Honour is that I much prefer I'll Have A Blue Christmas Without You"
In the spirit of the season I'm not going to tag anyone but everyone who wants to please feel free to continue the meme and give your top ten Holiday (whatever faith or secular ones work for you) tunes.